Where: Malostranská - both metro (line A) and tram station (18, 20, 12, 5, 22).
When: From 1.4.-31.10. See specifing opening hours below.
Wallenstein Garden is, in my opinion, a private gem of Prague. Everytime I am there I have an intense feeling that I am the only person who knows about this place. In fact, there are groups of people and it is quite popular among tourists. But this garden is simply beautiful so that I need to share it with all of you. It provides quitness in the right centre of Prague, hidden behind its high walls there lies a complete perfection. And why is that so ?
- symetrically designed garden
- lake with FAT fishes, mainly carps - czech Christmas tradition
- beautiful peacocks walking freely around you AND white peacock !
- calm place to think or read in the city centre
- amazing views to Prague Castle
It was created between the years 1623-1629 (mind the years, not that long for that age) together with the Wallenstein Palace that is connected with the garden. It is in a Baroque style made by Italian architects. It used to be a palace for imperial army general Albrecht of Valdštejn but today it is the seat of Czech Senate.
I would say that the garden can be devided into 4 parts:
1) An artificial pond with an islet.
2) An artificial maze.
3) Sala terrena with the alley of statues. They represent Greek mythological figures made by Adriaen de Vries.
4) An artificial stalactite wall with mystical animals.